Monday, September 30, 2013

Elements of Art and Principles of Design

ColorELEMENTS OF ART
Lines- Are marks made by a pointed tool: brush, pencil, pen, etc. Lines can vary in width, direction, curvature, length, or color.

I chose this painting because the side walk creates a line.


I chose this photo because the lines from the bamboo fence and the lines from the zebra.




Shapes- Are formed wherever the ends of a continuous line meet. Geometric shapes such as circles, triangles or squares have perfect, uniform measurements and don't often appear in nature. Organic shapes are associated with things from the natural world, like plants and animals.



I chose this painting because the sphere is a shape


I chose this photo because the shape is a rectangle


Color- Wheels show the primary colors, secondary colors, and the tertiary (intermediate) colors. They also show the relationships between complementary colors across from each other, such as blue and orange; and analogous (similar or related) colors next to each other such as yellow, green, and blue. Black and white may be thought of as colors but, in fact, they are not. White light is the presence of all color; black is the absence of reflected light and therefore the absence of color.



                                 I chose this painting because of the colors it contains, it creates 
the setting of the picture.


I chose this photo because of the different colors it contains.




Value (tone)- Refers to dark and light; the value scale refers to black and white with all gradations of gray in between. Value contrasts help us to see and understand a two-dimensional work of art.



I chose this painting because of the black and white contrast.


I chose this photo because of the black and white setting.


Form- Describes objects that are three-dimensional, having length, width, and height.



I chose this painting because it gives the illusion of being in 3D.


I chose this photo because the angle it was taken at gives it a 3 dimensional feel.



Texture- Can be rough, bumpy, slick, scratchy, smooth, silky, soft, prickly--the list is endless.  Texture refers to the surface quality, both simulated and actual, of artwork.




I chose this painting because of the floods and lines that create a sense of texture.


I chose this photo because of the lines and the different elevations in the photo creating a texture.


Space- Refers to distances or areas around, between, or within components of a piece. Space can be positive (white or light) or negative (black or dark), open or closed, shallow or deep, and two-dimensional or three-dimensional. 



I chose this painting because the space is positive, open, and close.


I chose this photo because the space is negative, open, and deep.

PRINCIPLES OF DESIGN

Balance- all of the subjects in the photo are either symmetrical or asymmetrical.

I chose this painting because the scene that's happening shows balance.


I chose this photo because it seems symmetrical, the photo is balanced.


Contrast- refers to the arrangement of opposite elements (light vs. dark colors, rough vs. smooth textures, large vs. small shapes, etc.) in a piece so as to create visual interest, excitement and drama.




I chose this painting because of the dark to light contrast.


I chose this photo because it shows light contrast as well as shape contrast. The flower petals extend out more from the center to the out part.


Emphasis-(center of interest) is an area that first attracts attention in a composition. This area is more important when compared to the other objects or elements in a composition.  This can be by contrast of values, more colors, and placement in the format.


I chose this painting because even though their are other figures in this paining you can tell that the boy is the main focus by the bag on the ground indicating that he's running away and the police is talking to him.


I chose this photo because the brown leaf is the subject of the image, being surrounded in a bush of green leaves.

Movement- The path the viewer’s eye takes through the artwork, often to a focal area. It can be directed along lines, edges, shapes and color. Movement is closely tied to rhythm.


I chose this painting because my eyes go to the couple dancing in the left side of the painting, the lighting on them makes them stand out from the crowd.


I chose this photo because my eyes go to the clouds in the sky.

Pattern- Repeating visual elements such as line, color, shape, texture, value or image tends to unify the total effect of a work of art as well as create rhythm. Repetition can take the form of an exact duplication (pattern), a near duplication, or duplication with variety.


I chose this painting because of the repetition of the boats.


I chose this photo because the repetition of the road arrows.

Rhythm- a movement in which some elements recurs regularly.  Like a dance it will have a flow of objects that will seem to be like the beat of music.


I chose this painting because the soup cans repeat



Unity- occurs when all of the elements of a piece combine to make a balanced, harmonious, complete whole. Unity is another of those hard-to-describe art terms but, when it's present, your eye and brain are pleased to see it.


I chose this painting because the piece is balanced and complete.


I chose this photo because it's harmonious and whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment